Congressman Peter DeFazio Scholarship to Benefit Dislocated Workers Deadline to apply is March 1, 2010


Vicki Merkel, Scholarship and Access Program Director

(541) 687-7385

January 15, 2010

Eugene OR -- Since 1991, Oregon's 4th District Congressman Peter DeFazio has donated his pay raises to a scholarship fund to help dislocated workers and returning veterans attend community college in his district (Lane, Linn-Benton, Southwestern Oregon, Rogue, and Umpqua community colleges).

Since DeFazio began the program, OSAC has awarded almost $200,000 to 149 students. Awards have ranged from $975 in the early years to $1,200 recently. For the coming academic year, awards will increase to $1,250.

Recently, the Oregon Student Access Commission (OSAC), which administers the fund, worked with Congressman DeFazio's staff to update the program. New federal legislation provides increased educational benefits to veterans and those currently in the armed forces. The DeFazio Scholarship will again focus on helping dislocated workers, where there is no shortage of viable applicants, given today's economy.

Deadline to Apply

The deadline to apply for the Congressman Peter DeFazio Scholarship with OSAC is February 16, 2010 for an "early bird" application review or March 1, 2010 for final consideration. Apply online or request a paper application by calling 1-800-452-8807.

Students also must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the required application. Applicants should file their FAFSA by March 15th at The FAFSA is also the application for other federal, state, and private financial aid opportunities, including the Oregon Opportunity Grant.

Dislocated Worker Definition

The FAFSA asks applicants to identify if they are a dislocated worker. The FAFSA definition states a person may be considered dislocated if he or she:

  • Is receiving unemployment benefits due to being laid off or losing a job and is unlikely to return to a previous occupation;
  • Has been laid off or received a lay-off notice from a job;
  • Was self-employed but is now unemployed due to economic conditions or natural disaster; or
  • Is a displaced homemaker. A displaced homemaker is generally a person who previously provided unpaid services to the family (e.g., a stay-at-home mom or dad), is no longer supported by the husband or wife, is unemployed or underemployed, and is having trouble finding or upgrading employment.
  • If a person quits work, generally he or she is not considered a dislocated worker even if, for example, the person is receiving unemployment benefits.


Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
OSAC Scholarships and Access Programs