Please direct matters pertaining to the oversight of the program to Juan Báez-Arévalo, Director of Private Post-secondary Education at:
The Office of Degree Authorization is committed to assisting institutions seeking program approval to operate in Oregon and serving the students of Oregon seeking quality degree-grant post-secondary offering.
Office of Degree Authorization
As part of the Higher Education Coordinating Commission, the mission of our office is
to assist Oregon students and their families in attaining a postsecondary education
and to enhance the value, integrity, and diversity of Oregon's college programs.
The Office of Degree Authorization is required by statute
to provide for the protection
of the citizens of Oregon and their postsecondary schools by ensuring the quality
of higher education and preserving the integrity of an academic degree as a public
credential. ODA administers laws, standards, and services that protect students,
holders of legitimately earned degrees, institutions, businesses, employers, patients
or clients, and licensing boards.
All degree-granting private post-secondary institutions offering academic programs
in Oregon, or to Oregon students from outside the state, must be approved by the
Office of Degree Authorization.
ODA Functions and Services
- Approval of college and university degrees offered to Oregon students
- Approval of courses, practicum and clinical placement programs and other partial
degree programs or activities for college credit offered in Oregon
- Technical support and guidance for development of new programs, faculty qualifications,
compliance questions, interpretation of regulations, et cetera
- Information about accreditation and degree programs approved for Oregon students
- Evaluation of college transcripts and unaccredited degrees
- Termination of
- Information about diploma and degree mills
- Evaluation and validation of international degrees for Oregon residents or employers
- Support and guidance for students with complaints about a campus-based or online
program offered in Oregon