Oregon Chafee Education and Training Grant

The 2018-2019 Chafee application is now closed. All available Chafee Grant funds have been awarded to students. 

The 2019-2020 Chafee Application is now open. March 1, 2019 is the final deadline. 


The Department of Human Services (DHS) Independent Living Program (ILP) has received Chafee Education and Training Voucher (ETV) funding to help current or former foster care youth with postsecondary education and training.

2019-2020 Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible, you must:

  • Currently be in child welfare foster care, or
  • Had been in child welfare foster care for at least 180 days (six months) after your 14th birthday and exited substitute care at age 16 or older, or
  • NEW: Be a former foster youth who was adopted or entered into a guardianship on or after your 13th birthday, and your adoption/guardianship finalized after 9/1/2015.
  • NEW: Final disbursement will not exceed the term in which the youth turned age 26.
  • NEW: Students can receive the ETG for a maximum number of 5 years.  
Students no longer need to be accessing Chafee funds before age 21.

Important Deadlines

March 1- 5pm PST: Final Deadline to complete the online Chafee ETG application and file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Application Process

  1. File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)* before the March 1st deadline.
  2. Complete the online Chafee ETG application before the March 1st deadline.

If your foster care placement was in a state other than Oregon, the electronic application will take you to special instructions as to where to mail your application.

If you do not file a FAFSA as an Oregon resident you will need to mail a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) to:
Chafee Grant Administrator
1500 Valley River Drive, Suite 100
Eugene, OR 97401

Almost all Chafee ETG applicants will be required to submit additional documentation to the school financial aid office as part of the FAFSA mandated "verification process."

What Happens Next?

  • Your Chafee Education and Training Grant application will be reviewed by the Independent Living Program at the Department of Human Services to verify that you are eligible to receive the Chafee Education and Training Grant
  • OSAC will notify your selected school that you are eligible to receive a Chafee Education and Training Grant.
  • Your school will determine the amount of your grant based on your financial need after application of any state or federal grant monies (PELL, Oregon Opportunity Grant, etc.). ETV funds received directly from the Department of Human Services will be subtracted from your Chafee Grant award. Your grant award will be included in your financial aid package prepared at your school.
  • The school that you will be attending should send you a document or e-mail you a link to your web account that details the type and amount of financial aid that you will receive at that institution. You are normally required to review this information and accept or decline the financial aid package. It will list in detail the various types of financial aid that you are to be awarded.

Disbursement Amounts

The maximum award amount for the 2019-20 academic year is $2,500. 

As a reminder, funds are awarded based on need. Your award amount may be less than the amounts below based on your total cost of attendance, if you are attending less than full-time, or, if you are receiving other aid such as privately funded scholarships which reduce your total need after the federal Pell and the Oregon Opportunity Grants are taken into account.

At no time will awards exceed $5,000 per academic year.  Award amounts may vary and will be awarded based on availability of funds. 

What are My Responsibilities?

  • Sign and return the financial aid award letter when you receive it from your school, or accept your award on-line if that is your school's preference.
  • If you decide to change schools, or have an address, telephone number, or e-mail change after completing the Chafee application, notify OSAC by visiting your Student Profile. You should also inform your ILP worker of any changes if you still have one.
  • Keep a copy of your application and any additional correspondence you receive.
  • If you do not receive your financial aid award letter in a timely manner, contact the financial aid office at your school.
  • If you receive a message or letter from the ILP Desk, OSAC, or your school requesting additional information from you, respond promptly.
  • Oregon does not have access to FAFSA records from other states. If you do not file a FAFSA as an Oregon resident you will need to mail a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) to:
    Chafee Grant Administrator
    1500 Valley River Drive, Suite 100
    Eugene, OR 97401
  • Oregon does not have access to foster care records from other states. The website for Chafee Education and Training contacts in each state is http://www.fc2sprograms.org/about-etv/. We will need a letter from the other state with the following information:

    Student’s full name, date of birth, date entered foster care, and date exited foster care. Oregon will be verifying that you have at least 180 days of foster care after your 14th birthday and that you exited foster care on or after your 16th birthday. This foster care information should be submitted to:

    Sandy Raschko
    ILP-Post Secondary and Fiscal Analyst
    Human Services Building
    500 Summer Street NE, E76
    Salem, OR 97301-1064
    Phone: 503/945-6612
    Fax: 503/945-6969
    E-mail: Sandra.Raschko@dhsoha.state.or.us

Fund Disbursement

After your application is processed and schools notify the Office of Student Access & Completion of the amount of your award, your Chafee ETG will be disbursed (sent) to your college or university's Business Office approximately two weeks prior to the start of each term or semester.

Neither OSAC nor the Oregon Department of Human Services have control over the time it takes your particular school to apply your Chafee ETG funds to your student account. Some schools apply at the beginning of the term/semester, and others wait until add/drop is over. Some schools may be short-staffed or closed during certain holiday or break periods and may take longer to apply your funds. Please contact your school regarding receipt of your funds before you contact OSAC.


Public Programs
(541) 687-7400 PublicPrograms@hecc.oregon.gov